Effective Date: 29 February 2016
Your privacy is important to GasBuddy/OpenStore, LLC (“GasBuddy
”, or “us
”) and we are committed to protecting the privacy of your information.
If you purchase or access the Service through a third party service that provides a gateway to the Service, such as iTunes or Google Play (a “Gateway Service”), you will have a separate, additional account relationship with that Gateway Service and the information you provide to that Gateway Service will be handled in accordance with the privacy practices of the applicable Gateway Service. Gateway Services are not partners or representatives of GasBuddy and GasBuddy is not responsible for the acts or omissions of a Gateway Service with regard to the collection or use of your information.
- Information You Share on the Service. Some portions of the Service allow you to submit comments, reviews, ratings and other content. This content may be displayed on the Service and may be viewable by other users of the Service. In addition, if you have created a user profile and uploaded a photograph of yourself in connection with your GasBuddy account, other users of the Service will be able to see your user profile information and your photograph when you submit content to the Service while logged in to your GasBuddy account.
- Information Automatically Collected Through the Service. GasBuddy may automatically collect information about you when you use the Service. If you access the Service through a mobile device, we will automatically collect information about your geo-location, including your geo-location relative to and within third party merchant locations. In addition, we may collect information such as your mobile device ID, device type, and your use of features, functions, or notifications on the device, as well as signal strength relating to WiFi or Bluetooth functionality, temperature, battery level, and similar technical data. We may collect this information even if you are not logged in to the Service. If you access the Service through a computer, we will automatically collect information such as your browser type and version, computer and connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from the Service, IP address and standard web log information. If you use the Service through a mobile device and you do not want us to collect your geo-location information you may change your preferences through the “Settings” feature of the GasBuddy mobile application, however, if you set your preferences so that we cannot collect your geo-location information, some of the features of the Service, such as the “Find Gas Near Me” feature, may not be available to you. In addition, you may be able to adjust the settings on your mobile device to prevent collection of your geolocation information.
Cookies. We may automatically collect information from you when you use the Service using “cookies”. Cookies are small amounts of data that are stored within your computer’s Internet browser and that are accessed and recorded by the websites that you visit so that they can recognize the same browser navigating online at a later time.
Information that may be collected by cookies when you use the Service may include, without limitation:
You can set your browser to reject cookies or to notify you when you are sent a cookie. However, if you disable cookies you may not be able to use all features of the Service, including the features that are only made available to registered members of the Service.
- the pages you visit within the Service;
- the date and time of your visit to the Service;
- the amount of time you spend using the Service;
- the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet; and/or
- your computer and connection information such as your browser type and version, operating system and platform.
Collection of Information by Third Parties. If you visit the Service from a third-party website the third-party website may give you a unique code, cookie or graphic which will uniquely identify you. This will only happen if you link directly from a third party website to the Service. Your activities on the Service while this type of code is active may be reported back to the third party website. The presence of a third party navigation bar at the top of a webpage is an indication that the third party website may be able to see your activity on the Service.
We may also provide social media features through the Service that enable you to share information with your social networks and to interact with the Service on various social media sites. Your use of these features may result in the collection or sharing of information about you by these sites, depending on the feature. We encourage you to review the privacy policies and settings on the social media sites with which you interact to make sure you understand the information that may be collected, used, disclosed and shared by those sites.
In addition, if you access the Service through the Internet, your browser may allow you to adjust your browser settings so that “do not track” requests are sent to the websites that you visit. However, GasBuddy will not disable tracking technology that may be active on the Service in response to any “do not track” requests that we receive from your browser
- Holding your information. We may store your information in hard copy or electronic format, in storage facilities that we own and operate ourselves, or that are owned and operated by our service providers. We take the privacy and security of your information seriously and we are committed to maintaining the security of your information under our control.
Use of Information by GasBuddy. GasBuddy may use information that we collect about you through the Service to:
- verify your identity;
- provide and administer access to the Service, and to provide you with requested services and customer support and to process and respond to your inquiries;
- personalize, customize, measure, and improve our services, content, and advertising and otherwise to enhance your experience of the Service;
- prevent, detect, and investigate potentially prohibited or illegal activities, and enforce the GasBuddy Terms of Service;
- analyze the accuracy, effectiveness, usability, or popularity of the Service;
- generate and review reports and data about our user base and service usage patterns;
- compile aggregate data for internal and external business purposes;
- resolve disputes and troubleshoot problems;
- subject to Section 10, contact you with information, including promotional, marketing and advertising information and recommendations that we believe may be of interest to you;
- provide you with other services requested by you as described when we collect the information;
- subject to Section 10, provide you with information we deem relevant when you visit third party merchant locations;
- if you use the Service on a mobile device, with your consent, we may send push notifications to your mobile device to provide updates about the Service and other relevant messages. You can manage push notifications from the “Settings” page within your account. You may also be able to manage them from your mobile device’s settings page; and
Use of information for direct marketing. We may also use your information so that we, our affiliates and our third party business partners can promote and market products, services and special offers that we think will be of interest to you (which may include products, services and offers provided by a third party). This marketing may be carried out in a variety of ways (including by email, SMS/MMS, or social media or by customising on-line content and displaying advertising on the Sites) and may continue after you cease accessing, visiting or using the Service, until you opt-out. You may opt-out by emailing us at email@example.com by sending a letter to us by postal mail at Suite 201, 14-16 Suakin Street Pymble NSW 2073 Attn: GasBuddy Customer Service or by following the “unsubscribe” instructions in any email communication you receive from us. We note that, if you have downloaded the GasBuddy mobile application to your mobile device and you notify GasBuddy of your election to opt-out, you will need to open the GasBuddy mobile application and send us your opt-out request via the Send Feedback button located in the Settings tab.
GasBuddy’s Disclosure of Information to Third Parties. GasBuddy may disclose your information to the following third parties:
- Our Service Providers: We may share your information with third party contractors or service providers who provide certain services to us or on our behalf, such as operating and supporting the Service or otherwise responding to your customer service requests. These service providers will only have access to the information needed to perform these limited functions on our behalf and are required to provide your information with at least the same level of protection and security as we use for the Service.
- Business Transfers; Bankruptcy. If GasBuddy becomes involved in a merger, acquisition, sale of assets, securities offering, bankruptcy, reorganization, dissolution, or other transaction or if the ownership of all or substantially all of our business otherwise changes, GasBuddy may share or transfer your information to a third party or parties in connection with the applicable transaction.
- Aggregate Information. GasBuddy may share information relating to visitors and users of the Service with affiliated or unaffiliated third parties on an aggregate basis. We note that, while this information will not identify you personally, in some instances these third parties may be able to combine this information with other data they have about you, or that they receive from third parties, in a manner that allows them to identify you personally.
- Law Enforcement Authorities. To the extent permitted by law, we may share your information with law enforcement, governmental agencies, or authorized third parties, in response to a verified request relating to a criminal investigation or alleged illegal activity or any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other GasBuddy user to legal liability, or to protect our rights or property, or during emergencies when safety is at risk.
- Third Party Business Partners. If you access the Service through a mobile device, we may, from time to time, share your device i.d. and geolocation information with a few carefully selected third party business partners that may use this information on behalf of themselves or their third party business partners to provide you with marketing information about products or services that may be of interest to you, or for other purposes with your affirmative consent. If you would like us to stop providing your information to these third party business partners, you may opt-out by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or sending a letter to us by postal mail at Suite 201, 14-16 Suakin Street Pymble NSW 2073 Attn: GasBuddy Customer Service. We note that, if you have downloaded the GasBuddy mobile application to your mobile device and you notify GasBuddy of your election to opt-out, you will need to open the GasBuddy mobile application and send us your opt-out request via the Send Feedback button located in the Settings tab in order for GasBuddy to disable sharing of your information with certain third party business partners. By electing to opt-out of these services, you may be required to turn off the geo-location function in the Service which may result in some of the functionality of the Service being unavailable to you.
No Spam, Spyware or Spoofing. To report GasBuddy-related spam or spoof emails to us, please forward the email to email@example.com. You may not use our communication tools to send spam or otherwise send content that would violate the GasBuddy Terms of Service.
- Security. GasBuddy takes reasonable measures (including a combination of technical solutions, security controls and internal processes) to protect the information you provide to GasBuddy or submit through the Service against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure, or modification. However, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to GasBuddy or submit through the Service and you do so at your own risk. No internet or email transmission is ever fully secure or error-free. Email sent to or through the Service may not be secure. You should use caution whenever submitting information online and take special care in deciding what information you send to us via email.
Accessing, Changing and Managing Your Information. You may change and update the information you provide through the Service, or change your preferences concerning how we use your information, as follows:
- Changing, Updating or Deleting Your Information. You may make changes to the user information you have provided in connection with your GasBuddy account by logging in to your account and changing the applicable information, or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you choose to terminate your account, you may also request that we delete your information by contacting us at email@example.com. Following receipt of a request from you, we will take reasonable steps to update, correct or delete your information.
- Email Communications. You can make changes regarding receiving email communications from us within your GasBuddy account. You can also choose not to receive email communications from us by following the “unsubscribe” instructions in any email communication you receive from us.
- Gateway Services. GasBuddy does not control the information you provide to Gateway Services. If you want to change your preferences with regard to how an applicable Gateway Service collects or uses your information in connection with the Service, you should review the privacy practices of the applicable Gateway Service and adjust your privacy or other settings directly through the applicable Gateway Service.